Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Our Family Growing In God...

'Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be glory both now and forever...' 2 Peter 3:18

In a recent family discussion I asked my wife Monica and my stepson Connor to make a list of the three or four things that are most important in their lives. (I did likewise.)

Not surprisingly, We all listed improving our relationship with God as our number one priority. But what does that really look like in action...? Here's what we're doing so far...

1) We are attending an awesome church together. 2) We are doing a family bible study together. Although we had previously started this study, we got distracted and off schedule but are back on track after our renewed commitment to grow in God both individually and as a family. 3) We are all working on independent studies and trying to set aside specific time every day for prayer and meditation.

I don't know what it looks like in other Christian households but that's what it's like around here. As the head of the household it's my responsibility for my families' spiritual welfare and as a leader I'll admit that I've done a poor job up to this point.

But no time like the present to step up to the plate, right...?

I can't sleep tonight. There's a restlessness in my spirit. I don't know what the reason for that restlessness is but I do know God is trying to get my attention. And he's got it...!

I've never been more keen on my relationship with the Lord than right this moment. You see we've been facing a great deal of adversity lately. But Praise God we will not bend to adversity...! We'll just draw close to God. That's what we're doing right now. We're drawing close.

God is Good. God is Great. God is our Restorer and Redeemer. God is our Provider. God is our Deliverer.

Blessed be the name of the Lord. Jesus Christ!


Dear Heavenly Father,

My Gracious King, Lord, and Savior I owe my life to You. Lord I want to serve You to the best of my ability. I want everything I say, do, and think to bring glory and honor to You. You are so worthy of this thanks, praise, and worship. Thank You Lord for blessing me with such an awesome family.

I couldn't be more pleased with my wife. She is an awesome helpmate and soul mate. What a great blessing You have bestowed on me in my precious Monica. Lord, I love and cherish her and pledge to always be the best husband to her that she could possibly imagine. I want to lift her up this morning in prayer Lord. I pray for her walk with You. I pray for her schedule. I pray for her physical health, Lord. I just want to lift her up in every way possible.

Lord I want to lift up Connor, too. he recognises the need to draw close to you as well and he's making an honest effort. I am so proud of him. Help me to be just what he needs right now. help me to be firm, but encouraging. Help me to see things from his perspective. Help me to be more patient. Lord I want to be a blessing to Connor. Please show me what that looks like. I recognize that bringing up Connor and Elijah might be the greatest contribution I can make to this world and I take that role very seriously.

Father God I thank You for my little baby Elijah. I wish I could spend every moment of my day with him. He is truly a miracle. Thank You Lord. We all love little Elijah.

Lord you have done so much for me. You have given me so much. I know that all good things come from You. Thank you, Father God.

I love You and give you all the praise, glory and worship you so richly deserve...

Lord I pray these things in Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: