Wednesday, October 24, 2007

More Marching Orders: Phil 2:15

The following is a great bible verse that commands us how to live. Let's take a look at several different bible translations and see how the meaning of this scripture is revealed...


Philippians 2:15 (English Standard Version) ...that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world...

Philippians 2:15 (New International Version) ...so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe...

Philippians 2:15 (New American Standard Bible) ...so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world...

Philippians 2:15 (The Message) ...Do everything readily and cheerfully—no bickering, no second-guessing allowed! Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society. Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night so I'll have good cause to be proud of you on the day that Christ returns. You'll be living proof that I didn't go to all this work for nothing.

Sam's Thoughts:

I love comparing translations and the four listed above are among my favorites... Three of them use the term 'blameless', to describe our behavior. The Message uses the term 'uncorrupted'. Then we are called to be 'Pure' in the International, 'Innocent' in the American and English Standards, and a 'breath of fresh air' in the Message.

Put them all together and we are called to be Pure, Innocent, Uncorrupted, a Breath of fresh air, without fault and above reproach..

To whom are we ministering too?

The world.

And the world is described as a crooked, twisted, depraved, perverse, squalid, and polluted society. That's pretty visual to me.

Every verse says we are 'of God'. Every verse refers to us a 'light'.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord, thank You for Your Word. Thank You for clarity. Thank You for recording how we are to conduct our lives if we are truly Your children. Lord, thank You especially for THE MESSAGE translation. I love how it presents Your Word .

Help me to be cheerful. Help me to be a breath of fresh air to those around me. Help me to be light.

Oh Lord I feel a little weighted down today. And I've been a little down for a while. Please lift me up. Hold me up. Put my feet upon Your solid ground. I stand on You and Your Word today. You are my Rock. You are my Fortress and Shelter.

In You I can do all things... I Love You Lord. And Father God, I lift up my dear wife to You as well. Bless her Lord. As she surely is a blessing to me. Thank You for Monica. I will honor You by loving her and serving her and my family, Lord.

Praise be to You, Jesus. Praise Your Name, My King. And I pray these things in that holy name, Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: