Monday, November 26, 2007

Ecclesiastes 9:10

My stepson Connor and I have started a routine of doing a devotional together every morning. Today's prayer journal commentary and devotional is taken from CH Spurgeon's Daily Devotional... I really enjoy the Spurgeon Devotionals. They are a little bit difficult to understand because of the time period they were written in, but there is always a good message contained in Spurgeon's writings.

Today's Scripture: "Whatsoever thy hand finds to do, do it with thy might."—Ecclesiastes 9:10

It's amazing how much commentary Spurgeon was able to pull out of that little verse... Here's the 'short' version:

Spurgeon first takes the word 'whatsoever' and defines that as works that are 'do-able', not merely ideas in our head. He goes on to give a great quote:



One good deed is worth more than a thousand brilliant theories... CH Spurgeon


He also tells us that we should think of Ecclesiastes 9:10 in 'present tense' and we should act now, today. He urges us to not procrastinate.

Finally, Spurgeon explains what 'do it with thy might' means. This is the nugget of truth for me.

We are called to do everything for the Lord and to the best of our ability at all times.

We do not know exactly how much time we have on this earth. But one thing is for sure... There's no time to waste. Spurgeon closes with a reminder to pray for divine inspiration and blessing and to wait patiently on the Lord. ...All sound advice!

If you would like a .pdf file of my complete study and life application notes for today's devotional I'll be glad to provide them for you. Please email me at Coachsam@chadwelltennis.com


Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank You for Charles Spurgeon's keen insight into scripture this morning. Father God I thank You Lord for the works of all the great Christians whom have come before me and left their mark on the world. Lord I pray for Connor and myself this morning. Help us to not procrastinate. Help us to be diligent about the study of Your Word, my King. And I pray that by the daily renewing of our minds that our lives will be transformed.

Father God I lift up my sweet wife to You today as well as Baby Elijah. Thank You Lord for the blessing of my sweet family. I want to do is glorify You by serving them all the time. I want to honor You Lord in everything I do.

Lord I pray for Your will to be done in my life, not mine. You made me a strong willed person Lord. But I give that will back to You Father. Please do not let my will hinder me or those around me.... I ask for Your guidance, Lord. Are You calling me to bloom right here where I'm planted, or do you have in mind for me to go on the road more? Make it more clear to me what my career path should be....

Lord I'll wait patiently on You but meanwhile I will do everything I do to the best of my ability in Your honor.

Lord I love You. I praise You my King, And I pray these things in Jesus' name, Amen.


No comments: