Friday, December 14, 2007

Friday: Coach Sam's Special Day of Thanks and Praise

Check out this phrase... 'TGIF: Thank God it's Friday'.

Sound familiar? Have you heard it before, or possibly even used it yourself? ...I have.

The contextual meaning in which I have most often heard this phrase used has been very distant from the meaning IT SHOULD HAVE. It should TRULY honor God, Our Heavenly Father.

But if you think about it, most of time this sentence is rendered as an irreverent, secular, exclamatory (and blasphemous) expression in which most people weren't really considering thanking God personally as if He were a real person to be praised and thanked. In most instances, I have heard the word 'God' used as an adjective to denote the degree of emotion someone is feeling. They are VERY glad it is Friday. They are NOT praising God. They are glad it is the end of the week, and they were getting off work and (probably) looking forward to partying all weekend...

God's name should not be used as an adjective...!

I am writing from personal experience because I often used that phrase in the wrong context before I was saved and knew better... After I became convicted of taking the Lord's name in vain in that way I decided to try to make it up to Him by doing my best to LITERALLY Thank Him for Fridays every Friday from then on. And while I want to be constantly aware of my blessings and try to keep myself in a perpetual state of gratitude every day, I now set aside Fridays in particular to count my blessings.

No comments: