Wednesday, December 12, 2007

How to Have Successful Quiet Time With God (part one)

When I first became a Christian back in 1986 I was first drawn to God through my interaction with a Godly family. I remember that time fondly. I was 'on fire' for the Lord, as they say... But in the days and weeks and months that transpired after my accepting of Christ, I cooled off considerably. And no one was there to take me by the hand and lead me step by step in how to draw closer to God. Consequently, I remained a 'baby Christian' for some time.

Thanks be to God that years later I did meet a man who discipled me in how to grow in Christ. At last I had a successful 'method' and a 'formula' for how to walk with God. That journey will never be complete until the day that the Lord takes me up to be with HIM. But the journey this far has led me to the point to where I am now attempting to assist others in their own walks. My literary time the next few days will be spent creating a 'white paper' resource that may be of use in my discipling efforts.

I am aware, of course that bible study methods already exist and are readily available but I want to create a document that is uniquely 'mine' and contains a bit of my personal testimony. A document such as this will be more meaningful to those who know and interact with me on a regular basis.

The following article will be published here initially in several sections. Once completed, A 'pdf' file of this commentary in it's entirety will be available for downloading.


Prayer Warriors: Please pray for this project! -Coach Sam

What is a devotional...?

Quiet time with God is often thought of and referred to as a meditation or devotional time. First of all, let’s define exactly what is ‘meditation’, and/or a ‘devotional’. Two different information sources will be cited for comparison.

Wickipedia Definitions’ are more worldly in nature. As of 2007, Wickipedia definitions come up first on most Internet search engines. The nature of Wickipedia is that it is ever changing. Readers are free to ‘alter and rewrite’ the content as they see fit. In fact, there is a disclaimer on every window that states ‘examples and perspective in this article or section may not include all significant viewpoints.’

Webster’s 1828 Dictionary, written by Noah Webster, was the ‘definition standard’ back nearly 200 years ago when our country was founded upon Christian ideals. –Enough said.


Definition Comparisons: Wickipedia vs Noah Webster

Wickipedia…Meditation is often considered to be prolonged mental introspection or contemplation which the practicant may or may not consider spiritual or mystical in intent. Many practices, beliefs, and traditions (including philosophical and religious) utilize the term, and a range of subjective interpretations also attach to it. It is widely thought to be of Eastern origin.

Wickipedia…Devotional: In Christianity, Bible study is the study of the Bible by ordinary people as a personal religious or spiritual practice. Some denominations may call this devotion or devotional acts; however in other denominations devotion has other meanings. Bible study in this sense is distinct from Biblical studies, which is a formal academic discipline. For more on Wickepedia’s definition of devotional Click Here.

Webster’s 1828 Dictionary: MEDITATION, n. [L.meditatio.] Close or continued thought; the turning or revolving of a subject in the mind; serious contemplation.

Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer. Psalm.19.

Webster’s 1828 Dictionary: DEVOTION, n. multiple examples... See below:

1. The state of being dedicated, consecrated, or solemnly set apart for a particular purpose.

2. A solemn attention to the Supreme Being in worship; a yielding of the heart and affections to God, with reverence, faith and piety, in religious duties, particularly in prayer and meditation; devoutness.

3. External worship; acts of religion; performance of religious duties.

As I passed by and beheld your devotions. Acts 17.

4. Prayer to the Supreme Being. A Christian will be regular in his morning and evening devotions.

5. An act of reverence, respect or ceremony.

6. Ardent love or affection; attachment manifested by constant attention; as, the duke was distinguished by his devotion to the king, and to the interest of the nation.

7. Earnestness; ardor; eagerness.

8. Disposal; power of disposing of; state of dependence.


Personally, I prefer Webster's definitions. Wow...!

to be continued....

No comments: