Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Requirements for Answered Prayer

I have been seeking answers to some pressing 'life' questions lately. The answers have not been forth-coming. But for some reason God put it on my heart yesterday to fast and pray in place of my meals.

After consuming only water for the past 24 hours I was rewarded with a message from two separate devotionals that I try to keep up with daily.

Both Charles Spurgeon's and Charles Stanley's morning devotional this morning were about praying and the requirements for answered prayer... And while I haven't received the 'exact' answers my specific questions, a light bulb did turn on as to why my prayers have gone unanswered.

For illustration's sake I'm going to quote Dr Stanley's article below. He really produced a masterpiece of literature with his clear, precise explanation of what blocks prayers.


READ John 14:12-14 Jesus taught many things about prayer and its central role in a believer’s life. He also promised that our petitions will be answered when we meet certain requirements.

One condition is mentioned in John 14:14: after receiving Christ as our personal Savior, we have the right to present requests in Jesus’ name, which means praying something that the Lord Himself might pray.

Whenever we exercise this privilege, we must come to the Father, depending not on our own good works or character but on the merits of Christ alone. Jesus’ atoning death on the cross is the only basis for approaching God and being assured of receiving an answer to our petitions.

A second requirement is separation from all known sin. Psalm 66:18 says, “If I regard wickedness in my heart, the Lord will not hear.” This refers to ungodly behaviors and thought patterns which we know are wrong but refuse to give up.

Remember, God looks at our heart attitude. If we struggle against our sinful ways, grieve over them, and ask for forgiveness, He will hear our cries and respond. But when He sees a hard heart, He is not obligated to listen.

Next time you pray, start with words of praise to God for His sacrificial love (1 John 4:10) and gratitude to Jesus for dying in your place. Express that you understand why your prayers are heard—because you have a relationship with the Father through Christ, and not because of anything you have done. Confess all known sin and ask for forgiveness. Then, present your requests to God with anticipation that He will answer.

-Dr Charles Stanley



There it is. God is not obligated to hear my prayers when I have a 'hard heart' toward others. He's also not going to come through if we don't really believe he will.

For brevity sake I have only included the summary of Charles Spurgeon's morning devotional today, but as you can see it stands in compete agreement with Dr Stanley's devotional. (I paraphrased my own interpretation in parenthesis)

No bashfulness need retard when Jesus invites. (Don’t be shy…) No unbelief should hinder when Jesus promises. (Do Not Doubt.) No cold-heartedness should restrain when such blessings are to be obtained. (Don’t hold anger or resentment against others and expect God’s blessings)

-Charles H Spurgeon

Today's messages really spoke to my heart and I hope they spoke to yours, too. I'm laying the 'issues' that have been hindering my prayers at the foot of the cross today. And I do so with an UNSHAKABLE CONFIDENCE that God will honor my actions and restore me spiritually. (and) HE WILL make my path clear, and HE WILL always provide for my family.

Amen, and to God be the Glory!


1 comment:

Monica Chadwell said...

Amen!! Wow! What a great post, Sweetie. I love the part about not harboring any known sin, as I recently discovered what it means to be blameless. We read in scripture about certain people being 'blameless.' I always wondered if that meant THOSE people no longer sinned after they were saved, but that's not what it means. It means that they committed no 'willful' sin. They really did try to their utmost to fear God and keep His commands. Ecc. 12:13. Way to go, Honey!!