Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Habakkuk Study

Who was Habakkuk...? He was a prophet of Judah around approximately 600 B.C. He lived in a time when the people of Judah were particularly rebellious. He described them as violent plunderers. He described the time he lived as a time of strife and contention.

He prayed to God asking how long God would allow this to continue. And God answered Habakkuk in a vision that he was going to send the Babylonians to conquer his people. Then God told him to write down the vision and make it clear to everyone what will take place.

God said that the proud people would not listen but The Just would live by Faith. -Hab 2:4

After I first read that section of scripture I thought of our own Pastor (Cere) He has been giving us the same message at church every week. He has been calling our attention to the signs of the times and trying to equip us for the moment when things really get bad... Cere is a Modern -Day Habakkuk...!

Today the key verse is from Habakkuk 2:4.... 'the just shall live by faith...'

Habakkuk's story is that of a faithful, watchful believer who trusted God.. He was faithful, and waited on God even though he did not necessarily understand or agree with what was going on. Even though the sign of the times is clear, and even though it looks at times as though God has abandoned us or the situation, we must remain faithful and look to Him. We must keep our eyes fixed on HIM.

The story of Habakkuk is a great example of a Believer who trusted God and had great faith in God in spite of the perilous circumstances that surrounded him... Oh that my story would be like that...!

Dear Heavenly Father,

God You are an awesome God... You are God of the ages and You speak to us so clearly through scripture back 600 BC and 2007 AD, too. . Thank You Lord for Your holy word, the bible. Thank You for creating in me this insatiable desire to know You and draw closer to You with each breath I take. Thank You for this desire within me to spend every spare moment of my days in Your Word. You have definitely been faithful to that request...!

Lord You are so good to me. I do have faith. I do believe in You, my King. You will always be faithful to those who are called by You. It was written that we were to call upon the name of the Lord and be saved... Well I'm calling out to You now... JESUS...!

I love You, Lord. I need You, Father. Help me to keep my eyes fixed on You. I will remain faithful. I will trust in You. But not on my own or by my own power. But in the overflowing power and energy that only You can provide, Lord.

Lord You have already blessed me so much. Look at where I live, my beautiful wife and kids, my career... Oh Lord I am not worthy of such grace, but thank you, Lord. And I am aware that of whom much is given then much is also expected in return... Oh Lord I want to be Your faithful servant, your faithful steward...

Father I will trust in You. I will live for You one day at a time. Thank You for Today, Lord. I will Live for You today, my King. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

No comments: