Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Habakkuk...Wow...!

In my 20 year walk with God since accepting Him as my personal savior I have yet to read the entire bible. Oh I've read a good portion of it. Over half of it, for sure... But not all of it in it's entirety.

My goal this year is to completely devour the bible. Why not read every word and punctuation mark? It's the inspired word of God. Everything in it has Divine Meaning. I want to be able to name every book of the bible, give a short summary about each book and include memorized scripture quotes from each book by the end of my study year. I know that's a big endeavor, but God is worth it. He already gave His Life for me. The least I can do is read His Book...!

Last night I took a look at Habakkuk. My thoughts at the outset were that this is a short book which I should easily be able to complete in one evening...! Upon further consideration I believe it's going to take more than one evening, that's for sure. In fact, I may be studying Habakkuk for several days.

I did an Internet search on Habakkuk, but accidentally misspelled it in the search bar. What I found was very interesting. -It was an article about a ship made out of icebergs.

Here is a quote from the link...

'Habbakuk' was the idea of British scientist Geoffrey Pyke. His idea was that because ice was unsinkable, the berg ships would be insulated and impervious to bomb and torpedo attacks. They would be easy to repair as water only had to be poured into holes and frozen, thus making the ship whole. The ships would be cheap to make so that a vast number could be made. The ships could be up to 4000 feet long, 600 feet wide and 130 feet in depth. They could be used to carry aircraft to protect shipping in the mid-Atlantic, since the aircraft would be able to operate at shorter ranges and could be used for an invasion force base. He christened the idea (misspelling the name in the process) after the words from Habakkuk, the Old Testament prophet: “Behold ye among the heathen, and regard and wonder marvellously: for I will work a work in your days, which ye will not believe, though it be told to you.” Hab. 1:5

Isn't that interesting? And according to files from the Royal Navy Museum, the design worked but was eventually scrapped. Read more about the Habbakuk Project...

That's a pretty neat example of the bible inspiring creativity in someone. But what's even more remarkable is Pike's accidental misspelling of the prophet's name, because I would not have found that information had I not also misspelled Habakkuk.

Now I most definitely want to know all about The book of Habakkuk. The iceberg aircraft carrier is such an interesting, unusual story that I think it will appeal to just about everyone. And since the origin of the story is based on bible scripture, what a great lead in to turn an ordinary conversation with someone to a conversation of spiritual matters....

More on Habakkuk (the prophet) tomorrow...

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord You reveal Yourself in such unexpected ways... I do regard You with marvel and amazement. And I do believe You will work a work in these days that is even more remarkable than a 4000 foot long ship made of ice... Thank You for being so real to me, Lord. Please continue to open my eyes and ears, Lord. I love You Jesus and want to be useful to You.

Thank You for blessing me so abundantly. Truly my cup runs over. Lord I pray these things in Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: