Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Rough Day...

Ever Thought You’ve Had a Rough Day?

I thought I was severely tested yesterday. Just about everything that could go wrong in my day did go wrong. And I had my usual restless night of waking up frequently. Each time I awakened I prayed to God telling Him how much I loved Him, and I petitioned Him for strength and courage to face a new day.

But as I was composing my thoughts on how I was going to rebound from a rotten day yesterday, NBC's Good Morning America was on television in the background. I paused momentarily to listen to a report on the war in the African Congo. I viewed hundreds of thousands of children under 5 years old malnourished and starving to death. I witnessed countless numbers of families without a home. In the African Congo pain, hunger, sickness, war and death is a way of life, EVERY DAY…!

So in light of what other people around the world are facing on a daily basis I am ashamed of thinking that I had a bad day yesterday. It's all perspective, isn't it?

In an instant I've been cured of my little 'pity-party'. (Thanks Be to God!) Today for me is new day. It will probably go better than yesterday did. But what ever happens, Elijah is not likely to go hungry, nor is he likely to get sick and have no doctor or medicine to treat him. My house will not be in danger of being blown up, destroyed, or taken from me forcibly. And I shouldn't have to walk in fear of my life at any time today, either. It's easy to take that for granted and I'm guilty.

The fact is that many people around the world would gladly trade their bad day yesterday for mine. So I'm not going to go around feeling sorry for myself. I'm going to make the most of my circumstances and give God the praise and glory He so richly deserves. I'm always going to bear in mind how blessed I am and be aware of those less fortunate than myself.

No comments: