Wednesday, April 09, 2008

God Showed Me Something...

I've been reading story of a pastor who was severely injured in a head on traffic collision. His recovery time lasted over a year and during that time he had many visitors who came to visit him and comfort him and wanted to minister to him. At first he refused any and all help. His rationalization was that he did not want to be a burden or put anyone out.

Another pastor friend of his, (an older and wiser man...) rebuked him for his actions. He told the injured pastor that there was a blessing in allowing others to minister to him and he was rejecting that blessing. In actuality it was a 'double blessing'. The injured pastor was missing a the blessing of being ministered to, and those who were offering help were missing the blessing of being able to administer the help. It was difficult for the injured pastor to change his way, because he was accustomed to doing the ministering, not receiving it. But with the help of the Holy Spirit he did begin to allow others to help him, and it changed his life and the lives of those around him immensely.

As I was reading that story I realized that I am a lot like that injured pastor. I often refuse help when it's offered to me. I especially refuse help from my wife, whom I perceive as overburdened herself, much of the time. I never considered that when I refuse help I'm denying a blessing both ways. What's even more interesting is that I heard a sermon on TV recently about the very same topic but it didn't effect me the way the story of the injured pastor did, although I see now that God has been trying to get this message through to me for some time.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank You for showing me something about myself that I need to change. Help me change, Lord. The last thing I want to do is withhold a blessing from anyone, especially my dear sweet wife.

Lord I need Your help in so many areas. I need help in getting into better physical condition, I need help in the area of finances and financial decisions, and I need help in the area of time management and organization, to name just a few areas I am struggling in.

Father God, I just lay these burdens down at the foot of Your cross this morning. I know You are aware of what's going on in my life and that You are in control of situations and working behind the scenes in ways I can't even imagine.

I love You, Lord. I trust and believe in You. There is purpose and reason behind everything that is happening in my life even if I can't understand it fully right now. I'm resting in You, Lord. No problem is too big for the One who created all existence.

I pray these things in Jesus' name, Amen.

2 comments:

Monica Chadwell said...

Oh, Sweetie. I'd love to be able to minister to you more. We both need it, and God is good!! ;-)

You are a wonderful, wonderful husband. And, I love you very much. Thank you for seeking God's face the way you do.

M-

Judy Ohlemacher said...

Sam you have once again come to an awesome conclusion. Allowing others to minister to you is indeed a double blessing.
Grandma Judy