Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Power of a Praying Father

Lately I've been listening to many radio sermons and teachings about Fatherhood and Father's Day. A couple of days ago I listened to a very moving interview with Dr James Dobson when he recounted memories of his daddy. He said his daddy was 'a true man of God' and 'a man of intense prayer'. He went on to say that his 'Focus on the Family' ministry success was the direct result of his daddy's fervent prayer life.

Immediately following Dr Dobson's Focus on the Family Broadcast was Pastor Paul Shepard who discussed the 'power of a praying father'... (That was quite a coincidence)

I have been thinking about those two broadcasts non stop the past forty-eight hours. Then, today's Spurgeon Devotional scripture highlight is "Thou art weighed in the balances and art found wanting."—Daniel 5:27

Wow... Is God ever speaking to me right now...!

Of Course, I'd like to think of myself as a 'good' father, but after listening to these recent radio broadcasts I realize I've still got plenty of growing to do, that's for sure... -Especially in the area of my prayer life and prayer habits.

Pastor Shepard stressed the importance of not just praying for one's children, but praying 'OVER' them. That is, having them physically next to you and you laying a hand on their head or shoulder while you pray out loud for them to hear.

I never really thought of it in those terms but then immediately I thought of the times that Godly men have laid their hand on my shoulder and prayed specifically, especially for me and my needs. It impacted me greatly.

Why am I NOT doing that for Connor and Elijah right now, today...? I mean really, what's more important than providing for my family spiritually...? -NOTHING.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord You are so Good. Thank You for all the Godly examples of Daddy's you have provided for me. Father I want to be the best daddy to my kids that I can possibly be. I see raising my children up to know You as my life's greatest work. Help me to be the best I can be. Show me all the areas in my life that I need improvement in. Help me to change. Conform me to Your image, Lord. Oh Lord, let there be less on me and more of You in me.

Father God I know without a doubt that this is within Your perfect will for my life and the life of my family. I know this is one prayer request you will absolutely answer.

Thank You again, Lord. I love You. I give this day to You, for your glory and in honor of You. And in Jesus' name I pray, Amen.




No comments: