Friday, June 13, 2008

A Word and a Prayer for Fathers this Weekend.

These Two scriptures came to mind as I spent time with God this morning. They are good words for anyone, but I think they are especially appropriate for Believing Dads. this weekend.



But flee from these things you man of God and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called, and you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

1 Timothy 6:11-12


What are these 'things' we are to flee from...? Verses 9-10 describe those 'things' as the love of money and the desire for the things of this world. But I think we can fill in the blank with any thing that is not wholesome, good, and edifying to us. We should flee from anything that corrupts our hearts.

The bible says: 'If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content...' (1 Tim 6:8) We really don't need any thing else, do we...? I'd much rather spend the bulk of my time pursuing righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness... And that's what I'd like my children to remember seeing me pursue, as well. My greatest legacy to my kids will be that I lived a Godly life and loved them with God's Love, and they will know God better because of the life I lived before them.

The other verse that comes to mind this morning is from an early chapter of Hebrews.

Take care Brethren that there not be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart that falls away from the living God. But encourage one another day after day as long as it is still called 'today', so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. Hebrews 3:12-13


I absolutely love that verse. It's both a warning to protect our hearts from evil and a command to lift each other up all the time. Just think what this world would look like if more people followed the advice of that verse...!

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank You Lord for Your Word. Thank You Lord for making me a father. Lord I lift up daddy's everywhere this morning. Being a daddy is the greatest job in the world. At times it can be a difficult, challenging job but the privilege and honor of raising up godly offspring is worth all the struggle.

Help me Lord, and help daddy's everywhere to always keep our eyes on You. Protect our hearts Lord. Help us to live lives of righteousness, goodness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness. Bless our witness to our children and the world around us. Help us Lord to be particularly encouraging to each other and our families.

The greatest gift daddy's can give their children is a life example of a man who loves You and has given his life to You, my King Jesus. Father God I love You. And I want to wish You a Happy Father's Day.

In Jesus Name I pray, Amen.

No comments: