Sunday, September 07, 2008

Really Good Scripture Verse Regarding Discipline

Monica and I attended our first Discipleship class at church this evening. We are taking Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. In our training video Dave explained that we would have to develop discipline in changing our spending and saving habits. He said it would probably be difficult and painful to facilitate the changes we would need to implement. He mentioned Hebrews 12:11 as a good scripture for us to be familiar with regarding discipline.

I really like Hebrews, in fact, I think I'm going to read a bit of it before I go to bed tonight. I was not familiar with the passage about discipline.

I agree that I need to be more disciplined. Not only with the stewardship of money, but in many other areas of my life...

Hmmm.... This seems like is a good spot to close and sleep on...

To be continued....

OK... I'm back. But wow, it was a very restless sleep. I don't know for sure why I had so much difficulty. Honestly, it could be a number of things...

There are so many things weighing on my heart I hardly know where to begin. But I think I'll just take up where I left off last night with discipline...

As the verse says, discipline can be painful early on, but it brings peace to those who have been trained by it. I remember from my younger days how that principle applied to my physical training for sports. Getting up early in the morning to run and lift weights was sometimes almost impossible, but I pushed myself because I wanted to be the best athlete I could be. And that hard work and training paid off many times over in the field of competition.

I often think back to those days when I was so keenly disciplined. What happened to me...? How did I get off...? Why did I get off...?

Why can't I 're-capture' that discipline I once had...?

Well, I think the answer has been slowly coming to me. I realize now why I eventually failed in my physical discipline from my youth. The main reason is that I was doing it for myself, and for my own personal glory. If we put our faith in man and man's ability we are going to be disappointed every time. Ultimately, God is not going to bless something or someone that is not giving HIM the glory. But he will use those people or circumstances to draw us closer to HIM.

I believe that everything that has ever happened to me up to this point has been to bring me closer to HIM.

I'm out of shape because of sin.

Over the years I've eaten too much and not exercised enough. I've been lazy and slothful, enjoying the pleasures of this world, denying myself very few desires. (just like King Soloman) The resulting lack of physical discipline has produced much physical pain and suffering for me the past few years as I have nearly worn my body out forcing on it a workload too difficult for a man of my weight and size. (Translated: Because I'm so heavy, my knees and feet are 'on their last legs...' )

That same sinful living and poor spending and saving habits over time has also produced a negative financial situation for my family. Again, it's lack of discipline.

But can I just suck it up and say 'NO MORE OF THIS'...?

No.

Well, not under my own power, anyway. But through Christ I can do all things. And I WILL accomplish more disciplined physical and financial health because I'm doing it for God's Glory, not my own.

And as Hebrews 12:11 says, I will have peace. Wow... I already have a sense of peace as I complete this narrative this morning. I mean honestly, I've never felt this way before about accomplishing a goal.

Today I'm changing my ways to live the life that God originally intended for me to live. And it's all to HIS Glory...!

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord thank You for the pain in my life. Today I'm finally turning the corner. No more running. No more excuses. I'm not holding back. I'm living for You, Jesus.

I love You Lord. You have blessed me with such a wonderful family and so many great opportunities to accomplish kingdom work and I've had my head stuck in the sand. Father God, please forgive me. But Praise God, I'm finally in the Game..!

Father God today is a big day for me. I'm starting many new tennis classes today and will come in contact with many new people. I pray a Holy Spirit blessing on my day. I lift up all my students to have an enjoyable time in tennis and to be encouraged to continue playing. Help me to impact lives today for the better, my King.

My Savior, I can do all things through You. You are my Rock. You are my source of Strength. I pray these things in Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: