Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The 'Art' of Silence...

How does a person know when to speak out or when to remain silent...? That is a good question.

Here are some scripture verses about communication with others to meditate on and pray about this morning...

Psalm 141:3 Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; Keep watch over the door of my lips.

Proverbs 13:3 He who guards his mouth preserves his life, but he who opens wide his lips shall have destruction.

Proverbs 21:23 Whosoever guards his mouth and tongue keeps his soul from troubles.

James 3:2 For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, also able to bridle the whole body.


But what about when we have a conversation with God? I think the art of silence should apply to the prayers we lift up as well... Prayer is quiet time in a quiet place and it is in this quiet place that the Lord has free reign to talk to you and lead and guide you.

I heard this saying once and it still holds true today. Lord, here sits a fool doing all the talking to the one who knows everything and has all the answers. I need to shut up and listen to the one who has all the answers!

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord I'm going to try to keep it brief today. I really want to honor You with the words that come out of my mouth today, and every day. If I don't have anything good to say I'm not going to say anything. But not only that, I want to just work on listening more. Help me to be a better listener. Help me to dwell in 'that secret quiet place' more often. Help me to hear Your still, small voice.

Lord my wife wrote in her journal that she is in awe that this country has just elected the least God-fearing man to ever hold the office of the Presidency. I stand in complete agreement with her statement. I lift up President Obama and his family to You this morning. And I lift up this once great country. Lord, please send someone to influence President Obama for the sake of Christianity. Please forgive our country for it's sins. Father God I pray for revival to sweep across this land.

I love You, Lord. I love my family and I love this country. Use me how You will, my King. I am ready, willing and able to take a stand for that which is good, true, pure, and right.

Heavenly Father I pray these things in Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: