Friday, November 21, 2008

Praying in Jesus' Name

Here's a thought provoking article from a Christian tennis pro with whom I have been acquainted with since my junior tennis days. He was asked to pray before a large group of varying faiths and he writes how he struggled whether he would pray 'in Jesus' name' or not.

He had some concern about offending others whose religion did not recognize Jesus as Lord and Savior. I have faced that situation too on many occasions, myself. I believe it's much easier to pray out loud before a crowded room of Christians, than a mixed group of varying faiths.

Romans 1:16-17 would always come to my mind when I struggled with what to do. If I refuse to pray in Jesus Name so as not to offend anyone, doesn't that mean that I am 'ashamed' of the name of Jesus, and therefore, the Gospel...?

A reader commented on David's Blog with several biblical instances of Jesus giving us instruction in this matter of how we are to pray:

...And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. -John 14:13

Other scriptural examples of Jesus instructing us to pray in His Name include:

John 14:14 – If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

John 15:16 – Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

John 16:23 – And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.

John 16:24 – Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

John 16:26 – At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you [as our High Priest who forever makes intercession for us].

Also, see Paul on the subject at Ephesians 5:20 and Colossians 3:17.

No comments: