Sunday, December 28, 2008

Let's Begin With The Belt of Truth...

Every night for the past month I have been reading Dr Tony Evans booklet on Spiritual Warfare. I am convinced that my prayer life is not what it should be. Dr Evans description of the prayer life of a Godly man who puts his full armor on is a much more detailed and passionate description than I would assign the current state of my own prayer life.

It's like my eyes are finally being opened to what a mediocre prayer life I have. This, in turn, also reflects on what I now consider to be a 'mediocre' personal relationship with God.

Now, -Is my problem purely spiritual...? Eph 6:12 says...Because we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

...I am facing spiritual forces that are far superior to me?

As I was pondering that thought I began to do some research on the Internet for Eph 6:12 and I came across this interesting article...

The article almost persuaded me to think that many biblical scholars down through the ages were incorrect in their interpretation of Eph 6:12. But I remembered a wise professor in bible college telling us to not rely on books or other resources 'about' the bible for our information, but to rely on the bible, itself. Without going into specifics, there are many scripture cross references that 'conflict with the author of that article's interpretation. Romans 8:38 and Ephesians 1:21 are just two scriptures that refer to principalities and powers as different ranks of evil spirits.

I have come to the conclusion that much of my problem comes from issues with my spiritual armor... Starting with the Belt of Truth...

I must first make sure my mind is embracing sound doctrine. This will help to equip my will in serving the Lord. Below are seven helpful aids in embracing sound doctrine as given by one of the old-time teachers of the word - William Gurnall, a Puritan who lived in the 17th century in England.

  • Be sincere in seeking the truth. Approach it with a sincere heart. This will make all the difference - 1 Tim 1:5

  • Receive the ministry of the Word from those God has equipped to serve it. God has given gifts to the body of Christ. A sincere heart will aid you in discerning the truth - Eph 4: 11 - 12

  • Accommodate the whole body of Christ. Don't restrict yourself to the teachings or doctrines of any one particular group or denomination in your quest for the truth. God has not given the totality of His truth to any one particular group. We must discern the body if we are to grow.

  • Beware of curiosity 2 Tim 4:3 Strange and sometime obviously wrong doctrine will appear. Witchcraft, New Age and all kinds of teachings will be repackaged as Christian doctrine. Don't let curiosity take you beyond the bounds of your hearts warning.

  • Be a humble seeker. Never assume perfection in any doctrine or teaching. Watch out for pride. Pride can make you a stranger to the throne of grace and turn humble praying for the truth into ambitious arguments.

  • Do not be offended at different opinions. It will only allow bitterness and malice to fester.
    Know the value of truth in your heart. When you find truth embrace it and keep it. Let nothing tear it away from you. More importantly, live it.

Here is a work by Gurnall regarding spiritual warfare that I am looking forward to going back and reading in it's entirety...

So, for starters I need to be in The Word more...

.

No comments: