Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Unforgiveness

It's interesting how the Holy Spirit works. I've really had a burden on my heart lately to go to the challenging relationships in my life and make them right. Today, Dr Charles Stanley's devotional topic was the subject of 'unforgiveness'. -How appropriate for me...

Dr Stanley summed it all up so eloquently. Here's a link to his post. But I'd also like to summarize his article for my own reinforcement.

Unforgiveness is Bad Because...

-It harms family interactions...

-It hinders prayer life...

-It damages one's personal witness...

-It thwarts spiritual growth....

Hmmm... -Harms, Hinders, Damages, Thwarts... Looks like nothing good can be said about unforgiveness...

I feel that the damage to one's personal witness is the most significant by-product of unforgiveness.

The highlight of your testimony is salvation, which centers around the truth that the Lord has forgiven all your sins. How can you stress the importance of this if your listener can’t see even a hint of forgiveness in your own life? -Dr Charles Stanley

I wish I had realized all this a long time ago. I've wasted YEARS of my life in unforgiveness...!

Well, realization of the problem doesn't mean I've overcome it completely. I'm still working through a lot of baggage. But I'm definitely headed in the right direction.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord thank You for the reinforcement of the importance of forgiving others. Father God I pray that all the bitterness of unforgiveness that has been built up in me over the years through challenging relationships just melt away.

Lord I am sad for all the negative energy I've spent over issues that I should have just let go of. I am so grateful that You are a God of Forgiveness. If You died for all of our sins how can I hold someone accountable for a perceived wrong to me...?

If I do not forgive others then You will not forgive me. Father God I pray this morning that You would bless my efforts to right the challenging relationships in my life.

Lord I confess that one of my biggest challenges ever is with my stepson, Connor. Father God, I truly want to impact Him for You. I know he has trouble seeing You in me. Help me do better with Connor. Help me to be exactly what he needs in the way of a step dad, mentor, and friend. I pray for a well spring of patience with Connor.

I pray that even in times of correction that my words are gentle and encouraging. Lord I believe that I can help Connor change by changing my own mode of operation. But I realize that nothing I do will be effective without giving it first to You.

Lord the good that has come out of this negative situation is my realization that You are in charge here, not me. Help me to forgive like You forgive, love like You love, and bless this family with peace.

That is the greatest gift I can give You, my family, and the world this Christmas.

Lord I'm lifting up Connor this morning. I'm lifting up this family unit, my King. Forgive us Lord and help us to forgive and love each other so the whole world can see what a life filled with the love of Christ looks like.

I love You, Lord. And I pray these things in Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: