Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Loving Others With Christ's Love

Today's devotional material is not my own. It is the perspective and notes from a friend at church. We are part of a new men's ministry at Life Church in Angleton. My friend's thoughts gave me great insight and encouragement with some issues I am facing...

We know that the bible tells us that we should show love to others, as Christ did. We should demonstrate love in our actions, reactions and way of life. How often do we really do this? I can say that sometimes, when I think the other person does not deserve it, I should not have too. When I was in Jr. High there was this kid that I could not get along with. I must have fought with him every week, it seemed. I am sure, now, that it was not all his fault that we did not get along. I can tell you for certain that I did not love him as a Christian should. There have been people I have worked with that I have not shown Christian love when I thought they did not deserve it. Loving others is something that is not easy. It is especially difficult when the other person does not warrant our love. Knowing I felt that someone did not deserve my love was the trigger that made me turn around. I knew that I did not deserve GOD’s love. I knew that my life did nothing that gave GOD reason to love me.

-Charlie Davis, Men Serving God, Feb 2009



1 John 4:19-21 (NIV)

19 We love because he first loved us. 20 If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. 21 And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.

How can we show love to others? What should we do so we can be the type of example Christ wants? We need to know what love is. Here are some additional scripture examples:

1 John 3:16-18 (NIV)
16 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. 17 If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? 18 Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

1 John 4:10-12 (NIV)
10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

Remember to pray for GOD to help you show love to those you are around. Lives will be changed when we express GOD’s love. A great first step is to know that GOD loved us when we did not deserve it.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank You Lord for loving me when I did not deserve it. Thank You for strong Christian men around me lifting me up and sharing with me the benefit of their experience and walk with You.

Lord I thank You for the trials I face daily. If my life were 'perfect' I would probably not be drawing so close to You all the time.

Father God I do truly love You. It is my desire to please You in everything I do. Help me to not fall so short of the mark each day. I lift up those challenging relationships and circumstances in my life and lay them at the foot of Your cross.

Lord I pray these things in Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: