Friday, May 01, 2009

Prayer for the Family

In church this weekend Pastor Greg made an interesting observation. Ever since the very first account of family life in the bible (Adam and Eve), the family unit has been under attack from Satan.

Think about it. Cain became jealous of and committed pre-meditative murder against Abel. Joseph's brothers plotted against him and sold him into slavery in Egypt. Even Jesus' own Brother James did not believe he was the Messiah until after his death.

The point brother Greg was trying to make is that there is no 'perfect' family. Every family has strife of some kind. The enemy doesn't leave anyone alone. How true, how true.

Growing up I remember my own family seemed to have more than it's fair share of 'dysfunction'. My perception was that pretty much all my friends had good and normal family lives and I was the only one that was really messed up. I'm sure that was not the case. That was the devil's lie.

Perhaps everyone did a great job disguising their strife and stress. That was the point of Brother Greg's sermon: How people 'masquerade' what's really going on inside them and their lives.

I have to admit that the family I'm raising today is far from perfect, but we're not nearly as dysfunctional as the family I grew up in. Of course, my wife and I have many advantages that my parents didn't have.

For one: My wife and I truly love each other and God is first in our lives. That makes all the difference. But we also have good friends who are also committed to the Lord and who pray for us. Indeed, we pray for each other. And we have the benefit of sound biblical teaching from our local church.

Monica and I are much better armed to defend ourselves and our family from the enemy's attacks than my mom and dad were. That's a good thing. Because I believe that the persecution of the family is intensifying to an unprecedented level, not only in my own house, but everywhere in the world.

The enemy's running out of time. He hates us because God loves us. The enemy's desire is to kill, steal, and destroy. The family unit is the number one target in Satan's cross hairs.

Ephesians 6:10-13 says it all...

Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

We must take a stand. For how long...? As long as it takes. Until our precious Savior returns...!

We must stand in Jesus Christ.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord I lift up my own family to You this morning. I pray a divine hedge of protection around us today. Help us to block and withstand the fiery darts of the enemy. Help us to control our emotions. Help me especially to control anger. Lord I know it is normal to get angry, but help me to not sin in my anger.

Father God, I lift up the family unit as a whole around the world. I pray you raise up and strengthen Godly families everywhere to influence and impact those around them for Your Kingdom. Lord there are many families out there that are in trouble. My heart goes out to them. I pray for peace, love, and discernment for them.

Lord I thank You for my own experiences growing up as a child. I pray that I use those experiences wisely and not make the same mistakes my parents made. I pray for the bond that my wife and I share. Help us to grow stronger to You. Help us to love each other and be patient with each other, modeling for our children and the world the kind of marriage relationship You intended for us to have.

I thank You for my precious wife and family, Lord. I love you, my King. Truly, You are the giver of all good things. I stand in the gap for my family this morning, and families everywhere.

In the Power of Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

No comments: