Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Who Can Turn the World on with a Smile...? Jesus


They looked unto him, and were lightened: and their faces were not ashamed.   Psalm 34:5

Friends, you might consider this is a STRETCH, but Psalm 34:5 gave me a flashback to my childhood and the theme song of a popular television show my family watched in the 1970's, "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

The first two lines of the theme song went like this:  

Who can turn the world ON with a smile?  Who can take a 'nothing' day, and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile...?   Here's a link to an audio and the complete lyrics to that show.

Of course we all know the CORRECT answer to those questions:  Hint:  Its not Mary Tyler Moore...

Who brightens our countenance?  Who gives life?  Who makes all things new (and worthwhile)?   

It's the Lord God.  It's the cross..  It's Jesus.  When we look unto GOD (Jesus) our faces become BRIGHT, not ashamed.    The author of Psalms was a man after God's own heart.  And that's the man I want to be.  That's the kind of men I want Elijah and Connor to grow into.

 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth...   from Psalm 121

So, I have a theme song from a 1970's television show stuck in my head...  I sure wish I had spent that time reading the bible and memorizing scripture instead of watching a worldly tv show so much I can still recall its theme song lyrics some 30 plus years later.  

I don't want to go deep into the plot of that tv show.  It was 'clean' by most standards. There was No foul language. I don't recall any 'adult' situations.  It was 'family' friendly.  Or was it...?  

'Basically, the show was about an attractive, successful single woman making a life on her own.  From my recollection it was void of any references to God.  It was a model for women to achieve and be successful under their own power. It glorified SELF.   While that show empowered women, it also very subtlety undermined the American family unit as we know it.

If we go through life avoiding Jesus and embracing the world we will stand before God at the end of our days looking and feeling very ashamed.

Turn to HIM Now, this very day, this very hour. Turn to Jesus.   Call upon the name of the LORD and be saved! (Romans 10:13)

Friends our Christian  lives are not supposed to be about ourselves.  Won't you share the love of Jesus with someone today?


Heavenly Father, Lord I thank you for your precious holy word.  Thank You for Jesus. Help us to read and understand your word, Lord.  Father help us to share your love to a lost and dying world. This world is passing away, but we shall not fear.  We look to You and are encouraged.  Our faces are not ashamed. 

Lord I lift up my family and friends to You.  My life is in your hands.  I love you, thank you and praise you:  In Jesus' name, AMEN.


 

 

 

 

 

No comments: